What is a Notary Public?

A British Columbia Notary:

  • Is a professional trained in non-contentious legal matters
  • Has met the Society of Notaries Public of BC’s scrupulous background review and
  • requirements for business experience, integrity and trustworthiness
  • Has passed statutory examinations
  • Is commissioned for life by the Supreme Court of British Columbia
  • Has been granted a Seal by the Society
  • Must continually comply with the Society’s bylaws, rules and regulations and the
  • Notaries Act
  • Is subject to the disciplinary powers of the Society
  • Is fully insured with Errors and Omission Insurance
  • Is required to participate in the Society’s Special Indemnity Fund for public assurance and protection

Buying, selling, or transferring ownership of a home

Conveyancing is simply the process of transferring property from one person to another. Generally speaking it involves purchases, sales and mortgages of property.

The role of a notary is to prepare and register all of the relevant paperwork while ensuring that all funds are transferred to the appropriate parties. Think of our job as that of a facilitator.

If you are a buyer, you may be reluctant to hand over hundreds of thousands of dollars on the hope that you will receive title to your new home. As a seller, you might be apprehensive about signing a transfer of your house without the money in your hands. The job of notaries and Lawyers is to make sure that both the buyer and seller are protected.


Half of BC Adults Do Not Have a Will, according to a BC Notaries’ Poll. Only 55% of British Columbians have a current and legal Will, according to a province-wide poll conducted by the Mustel Group for The Society of Notaries Public of BC.

Wills are a critical tool for outlining one’s wishes for the distribution of assets, guardianship of minor children, and the designation of an executor who takes care of administering the estate. Without a will, the court will determine who will be the executor, and the law will decide who is entitled to the estate.

Who should have a Will?

Any adult in B.C. who owns property including real estate, vehicles or other assets; has a dependent spouse or children, and wishes to have someone they know and trust take care of their estate after their death.

What is Power of Attorney?

A power of attorney allows a capable adult to appoint a person or persons to handle their financial and legal matters in the event they are unable to do so themselves or need assistance. The document also specifies whether these individuals are allowed to act separately or required to act together. Because of the financial authority conveyed, it is critical that the adult fully understands what powers they are granting with this document and have complete trust in the person they are appointing.

Who should have a Power of Attorney?

This document has great value for anyone who:

  • wants to ensure that a trusted person would take care of bill paying, correspondence and financial management in the event of incapacity or absence
  • may need assistance with their daily finances now or in the future
  • wants to avoid the very lengthy and expensive process of a court appointed committee should they suddenly become incapable
  • wants to avoid having the Public Guardian and Trustee take over his or her affairs

What is a Representation Agreement

A Representation Agreement appoints a representative, or multiple representatives, to make decisions regarding an individual’s health and personal care in the event they are unable to communicate their own wishes. Depending on how the Representation Agreement is prepared, a designated representative’s authority can include:

  • decisions regarding healthcare, personal care
  • refusal or consent to life support treatment and care
  • consent to less common medical procedures/treatment
  • consent to treatment the Adult approved while capable but since losing capacity has refused to consent
  • deciding on living arrangements for the Adult including choosing a care facility

We can help you to determine the appropriate scope for specific representative(s).

Who should have a Representation Agreement?

Any adult who wants to ensure that a specific person or persons are appointed to make decisions for them, especially if they have no spouse; or no spouse and no children, or if their children are in conflict with one another or would not be good decision makers.

Quick Contact:

Natalya Hanna Notary Public

Tel: 604.420.6671
Fax: 604.420.6691
#104 -2849 North Road
Burnaby BC, V3J 1R6

Click HERE for the Map

Office hours:  Monday- Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm