An Uptown Notary can create, confirm and provide legal notarized affidavits. Affidavits can be witnessed and sworn at reasonable rates. For people who are incapacitated, Uptown Notaries offers hospital, care home and home visits for people in Burnaby, Coquitlam, New Westminster and Port Moody. We also help you with affidavits if your most comfortable language is English, Russian, or French. Uptown Notaries provides reasonable rates on affidavits.
Affidavits are a statement of facts made in writing and confirmed by the oath or affirmation of the person making it. A Notary Public has the authority to administer an oath or affirmation. Affidavits often contain important facts that you would like a judge or other decision-maker to know about.
An Affidavit is a legal document. With affidavits it is essential to ensure they are prepared properly, using the correct language, and structure. Affidavits should not contain opinion or arguments. An affidavit is meant to be a sworn and legal statement of facts.
Affidavits in BC
In BC, there are many rules around swearing affidavits and ensuring they are valid. Here are a few of the main steps required by a Notary Public for BC Affidavits:
- The person signing the Affidavit must be present and sign the affidavit in front of the Notary
- The Notary must be satisfied that the person signing the Affidavit is capable of understanding the contents of the Affidavit
- The identity of the person signing the Affidavit must be confirmed
- The document must be signed by the Notary, who will administer the oath, or affirmation of the person signing the Affidavit
- If there are important documents that support the information on the affidavit, they must be attached to the Affidavit as an exhibit
A Notary Public is commissioned for taking Affidavits in British Columbia and their commission never expires.
Advantages of a Notary Public
Perhaps the biggest advantage of a Notary Public is their knowledge and years of education. A Notary can explain all the facets of the Affidavit you are signing under oath. A Notary can also create an Affidavit in the proper format and terminology to protect your best interests. A Notary Public has a special legal standing in BC and like lawyers, are heavily regulated.
If you have any questions about how to get notarized documents or about any other Notary Public services, give Uptown Notaries a call. You can also schedule a free, no obligation phone consultation on Affidavits.